Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Welcome to The Reader's List. Beginning August 1st, I will attempt to read only books that have been recommended to me for a whole year. I've got a pretty good list going already, check it out over on the left hand side of the blog. I will try to read them in the order I received them (from the bottom up). However, if a book  is unavailable to me, I will have to skip that title.

Why am I doing this? Three reasons: I want to add more variety to my reading preferences, I want to read what my friends and family think are important books, I believe this challenge will make me a better librarian.

I will post my progress here with notes and reviews, I hope you'll check in every so often to see how I'm doing.

And away we go!

9 comments:

  1. Summer of '49--David Halberstam (everyone needs a little sports history, and this is a good one)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Battle Royale, by Koushun Takami. A book about a class of junior high school students who are taken to a secluded island and forced to kill one another. Brutal and sincere, it's probably my favorite book of all time.

    His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass), by Phillip Pullman. Set in an alternate world similar to ours, the first book follows a young girl named Lyra as she searches for her father while being chased by a group of child abductors, and everything snowballs from there.

    Ender's Game, and Speaker for the Dead, by Orson Scott Card. Ender's Game takes place in a future where humanity was almost wiped out twice by a race of aliens called the Buggers, and the government now grooms children into being the next big general, in case of another bugger attack. Ender Wiggen is one of these children. Speaker for the Dead takes place afterwards; to say more would be spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I can make my recommendation available to you immediately, will you skip the ones before it? :-) I am telling you again, I LOVE this idea!!! I would really love to do something similar, but what if nobody recommends the books that are currently on my reading list? Argh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, D! You should start your own reading challenge! It could be really fun. Be brave, dump your current reading list and see what the world has to offer.

      Delete
  4. True Believer : Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements by Eric Hoffer. This is an important sociological work for the layaman that stands the test of time and applies to all types of various political, economic, and religious movements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon :)

    ReplyDelete