Thursday, August 9, 2012

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

 

Ok, ok, not bad. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. After the flat dialogue in Jennifer Government (see previous post), I was relieved to read some really good dialogue. One for the Money by Janet Evanovich was recommended to me by Erica Barker. One for the Money was published back in 1994 and has spawned 17 other books in the series, the most current one being Explosive Eighteen. Oh yeah, it has also been turned into a movie.

Our hero, Stephanie Plum, is a down on her luck, unemployed, divorcee. She is fresh out of cash and her car has been repo'd. Oh yeah, and she lives in New Jersey. She needs money and she needs it fast, so cousin Vinnie lets her try her hand at skip tracing for his bailbonds service. She bites off more than she can chew and has to learn on the fly. Plum turns out be funny, resourceful, and determined. Oh yeah, and tougher than she ever thought she could be. 

This was a super fast read for me, the dialogue kept it moving. Stephanie Plum and her Grandma were my favorite characters in the book. And for all of the humor and cheesy romance (very little cheese) there are some very dark and real moments. The sadistic boxer Ramirez has the makings of a real villain.

I probably won't read any more books in this series. The fact that this series is still going strong indicates it is probably more "soap opera-ish" than I can stand. However, to anyone who hasn't read this book, I wholeheartedly recommend it as a fast and fun read. Who knows, maybe you'll be hooked and become a fan of the series. Glad I read this one, don't need to read anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment